January 6, 2009

Windshield Wipers Can Ruin Your Day

I started my day by flying from Washington DC to Providence RI. When we got to 28,000 ft. all of a sudden my windshield wiper started moving on its own. My Captain said, "What the heck?" and I responded quickly with a "I didn't touch ANYTHING!" Well, 280kts isn't the ideal speed to operate your windshield wipers. We slowed to 170kts (recommended speed) then landed in Providence.

When we got on the ground it took us a while to get things settled out. Maintenance wanted us to fly it, but the Captain was alert enough to know the rules better and know we could do what they wanted us to. So, after calling the big bosses the Captain was proven to be correct and we needed the wiper to be fixed in order to land or takeoff at any airport with rain. Problem is it would be raining in D.C. all day.

So, to the hotel we went as we left the disappointed passangers behind. I felt bad, but we did the right thing and stuck with safety over profit. It is safe to say the good guys won this one even though the passangers were not getting to where they wanted to go. I was happy, because the good guys don't always win.

This is how your day can be ruined by something as simple as windshield wipers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to comment and express your opinion. This is what the internet is for.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Richmond, Virginia, United States